Tuesday 16 October 2012

Be a Saver, not a Spender

As I mentioned yesterday, there weren't enough sewing related stalls at the Love Vintage Summer Show for my liking but, surprise, surprise, I still managed to buy something.
Australian Home Journal, April 1st, 1946.

The seller I purchased this April 1946 edition of the Australian Home Journal from had loads of these for sale - in varying condition and she even had multiple copies, which is almost unheard of. They all came complete with their patterns but were sealed so you couldn't get a look at the condition inside.
 
Ordinarily, I don't like to spend more than $10 on these magazines, especially if I don't get the chance to woman-handle it first, so $18 for this one was a bit excessive. But look at that dress on the left! Would you have been able to resist?
 
While the quality of the inside pages left a lot to be desired, I did happen upon a couple of lovely knitting patterns and adverts I'd like to share with you guys. 
 
 
 
 
Even though the weather here is on the improve,
I want one of these two-tone jumpers!
It's so freakin' cute!!
 
 
This is the rest of the instructions for both the blouse and jumper
should anyone out there want to knit one up.
 
 
 
 
Oh, and before I forget, this was what I wore to the Show (sans hat).
 My all time favourite dress; a Madeleine Faith design from Saks Fifth Avenue.
It cost me a small fortune but it was well worth it, it fits like it was made for me.
 
 
¡ Qué belleza!
 
- Tamara
 

 


5 comments:

  1. Wow, those knitting patterns are so stunning! I am glad you share the instructions, I really want to knit up that Margaret Rose Blouse as soon as I can. It's so lovely!! : )

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bonita, if only I could knit! These pics are pretty small, so just let me know if you have trouble reading any of the instructions & I'll email you the larger files.

      I look forward to seeing it knitted up, make sure you post pics when it's done.

      Delete
  2. The Junk Company on Elizabeth St has quite a lot of Home Journals (as well as some other mags like knitting and old Womans Days) for about $14 a pop. I bought 2 though and he gave them both to me for $20 so it's worth a look.
    There's quite a lot of 50's and some 40's left too - mostly 1946 and later :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esz, I'll have to check this out the next time I'm in the city. Nice to hear the prices are negotiable too.

      Delete
  3. The colour of that dress is so terrifically lovely. The cut is wonderful, too, and I can very easily see why it's your very favourite frock.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...